Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I can't help myself...

http://www.getty.edu/art/collections/media100.html?batch=0115&file=G00388V1NM&desc=Walker%20Evans%20in%20His%20Own%20Words&speed=100

I have a problem, actually I have a number of problems, but at the moment the most pressing one is photographic.
I have included a link to the Getty's website that has a short ( 4 minute ) comment about the work of Walker Evans. Evans actually does most of the talking and tries to communicate to us what it was that he was doing when he was working...making photographs.

As he says,"I like saying what's what.".

I have come to believe that the photograph is the perfect medium for "saying What's what."

To me black and white prints can be some of the most beautiful objects I have ever seen.
I admit there are other objects that can be as "beautiful" as black and white photographs, but not many.

How come I seem to be amoung the few people today who actually feel that way?
Am I missing something?

How come I seem to have a problem with what work to do?
Is there any good reason not to follow Evans' lead and look at the World today? It's surely just as interesting and varied as it ever was.

Maybe that's why I'm drawn to Magnum.
http://www.magnumphotos.com/Archive/C.aspx?VP=XSpecific_MAG.AgencyHome_VPage&pid=2K7O3R1VX08V

It seems to be one of the few places I can go the look at photographs that are "saying what's what".

So what's the problem?
Why am I not working harder and more consistantly on this idea?
That's the problem!

No comments: