Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Courage, my Son

I think too much!
I've spent a great deal of time looking at and thinking about photographs and not enough time making them.
It's my personality to be pretty lethargic with a strong tendency to sit and wait for something to happen.
This is not a good idea when you're trying to make things.

I wonder what should I take a picture of?
What will it look like?
Will I like it?
Will anyone else like it?
Should I use the digital or the film camera?
These and many other questions fill my head when I should be "pushing the button".

Walker Evans said it best, "it's the capture and projection of the delights of seeing; it is the defining of observation full and felt."

So, what does that mean?
Evans also said the he photographed what interested him at the time.
For me the answer has to be fairly simple and straight forward.
Get out the camera and go out into the world and take pictures.
It doesn't matter whether they're digital or film, color or black and white.
The important thing is the act of doing the work.
Maybe this is the time and place in my life for some goal setting, rolls per day, finished prints per week, any number of things that will begin to fill the boxes in the closet.

Webster's says it... Courage is, mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear,or difficulty.

No comments: