Saturday, April 05, 2014

Provincetoen Massachusetts, August 1954, Hermit crabs, David Vestal

"Provincetown Massachusetts, near the breakwater, August 1954. The little black round thing on my ankle is a hermit crab in its mobile home.  Hermit crabs don't rent vacant shells, they just move in.
They don't pinch, they tickle.
This is a curious case of inkjet tweak. It's scanned from the only existing silver print of this picture, made in 1954, which is too dark to suit me at its right end. Fiddling with overall tones in tweaking the scan made the right end easier to see in inkjet with no local work at all.  The inkjet shows me how to reprint this photo in the darkroom.  I must try to make the right end seem clear in silver as it is in inkjet.  I'm not sure I can do it, but it seems worth trying."  David Vestal

No comments: