Friday, March 14, 2014

And one more look at Sid Grossman

Here's another of David's candid portraits of an artist. In this one, Sid and Miriam Grossman in the kitchen in 1953. I'm guessing that they are in the kitchen of their home on Cape Cod but I'll have to do a little more research to be sure.
There are a number of these portraits that Vestal took over the years and what I'll try and do is post them along with any comments that David made about the image.
I've found these to be an interesting and unvarnished look at people that many of us have never had the opportunity to meet except through their work.
As the old saying goes, 'He puts his pants on one leg at a time just like you do!'.  Maybe seeing the humanity in some of the legends of photography will help us understand a little better that our work can also be of  value as well.
It could be that one lesson from Vestal is 'Do your own work, and don't worry about what others think of it.'
I think I'm coming to believe that part of David's wide spread appeal in his writing about photography comes form the fact that he encouraged all photographers to be their own harshest critics.

No comments: