Saturday, January 25, 2014

Back "On the Road"...




These aren't in the order they where taken but then neither am I at the moment.
I'm close to if not at 1700 miles since Tuesday, the result of a short but very enjoyable side trip.
A drive through the mountains of eastern West Virginia.
I'm on my way to Bethlehem Connecticut to David Vestal's home.
One of the many things I've learned from David is, it's not a pleasant thought that you might die all alone.
He had called and left a message on the machine on Saturday November 23 at 7:54 P.M.
"Len, David Vestal. I'm not alright but I'm coping. No need to get upset, but I'm operating at about 1/4 speed. That's all for now."
We where in Dallas with family so I was not there to take that call. The thought of what I might have done to help him will haunt me.
David had very little family. He had divorced his first wife over 60 years ago. They had had one child, a girl, and she and David where not close. Although they did talk on occasion.
David's second wife died of cancer some time ago. He had been living alone as long as I have known him. I think David lived a lonely life, at least by my standard.




No comments: