Saturday, October 05, 2013

Where's Len...been?

Busy month since the last exercise in vanity.
Two new cameras, more 'mega-pixels'.  Not that it will improve the photographs, it's just something new to challenge my aging little grey cells.
The net result was a brand new computer as well, seems the old one wouldn't handle all the new much larger files. It's fair to say I'm broke.
Everything seems to be up and running and the prints have started to pour out of the printer. Red River Paper will be glad to hear that.
It remains to be seen if any are worth the effort.  Judging from what I've been seeing at the monthly meeting of the 'camera club' I've been frequenting I'm on the right track.
Ralph Steiner said it best...'Eventually I discovered for myself the utterly simple prescription for creativity: be intensely yourself. Don't try to be outstanding; don't try to be a success; don't try to do pictures for others to look to at-just please yourself.' 
From his book A Point of View 1978 Wesleyan University Press  ISBN 0-8195-5091-I
That thought along with words of wisdom from Charles Schorre...I paraphrase...just do the work!
The work its self will show you the way, has been the driving force.  I haven't found any reason to change my thinking.
I'm off to the Ransom Center in a couple of weeks to hear what Magnum is doing with the changes wrought by the digital revolution.  I've read Fred Ritchin's After Photography a couple of times and I'm still not clear on the answer. maybe listening to Fred talk about it will help.

No comments: