Sunday, July 20, 2008

When I see this guy's work...

http://www.hiroshiwatanabe.com/index.html

...it makes me want to trash of all my cameras and just use the 2 1/4.

I agree with Robert that looking at other people's work can cause problems.

There is a great deal of junk work being put out for us to look at and it's easy to be over whelmed by it. As a result I mostly look at the work of a few dead photographers.

What you say is also true of reading about photographs, mostly just confusing comments from the confused. In many cases the critics sound like they have little actual experience making photographs. I can't relate to the ego required to make you want to talk about what someone else is doing and make judgements about it without actually having walked in their shoes. Which of course you can never do.

Ralph Steiner said it best, "Eventually I discovered for myself the uterly simple prescription for creativity: be intensely yourself. Don't try to be outstanding; don't try to be a success; don't try to do pictures for others to look at - just please yourself."

No comments: