Saturday, May 20, 2006

Another lesson learned...

Last week I made the drive to Santa Fe to attend a workshop and board meeting for a Santa Fe based not for profit.
It was an experience I will not soon forget.
The workshop consisted of two days of portfolio reviews and a one day symposium on how to become a well known photographer.
Both events where well worth the time and effort to attend. I'm glad I made the trip and came away with the feeling that I had gotten great value for my time and money.
The board meeting was another story.
People seem to think that just because they have a great idea the World will beat a path to their door. There is an apparent lack of understanding of how to make the group function effectively. Several of the board members didn't seem to understand that success is about building an organization and becoming self sufficient, not much different than building a business or any other group of people who work together for a common purpose. If you want others to support your effort you must prove that you can support yourself.
I've been actively engaged with a failing not for profit right here in Houston, I really don't need to make trips to Santa Fe to help bail out another one. I'm also glad to be able to report that the Houston 501c3 is no longer failing.
When I got home I immediately mailed my resignation.

No comments: